Thursday, March 3, 2011

Waiting for Superman

I liked this movie.  I really did.  It was very interesting, and I found myself getting emotionally attached to all the people in the movie.  What I didn't like about the movie, however, was what it said.  To me, the movie basically said to the viewer, "American public education is dead, and the only way your children will be successful is by going to charter schools."  It made it seem like the children who didn't get into the charter schools were going to fail just because they were going to public school.  And I don't think it gave enough information about charter schools.  It painted charter schools as this panacea to cure every problem with education, and it makes the viewer wonder, 'Well, if charter schools are so great, why don't they just build more so every kid can go to one?'  But the problem with Waiting for Superman, is that it doesn't address the answer to that question.  I think it would have been better if the movie went more in depth about charter schools.  Anyway, that's how I felt about the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment